Friday, October 29, 2010

While abroad -Maintaining a blog assignment - part 1 of 3

I do not think i did this assignment right.... so here goes the revisions.

1. What did you assume before you left that you are not finding in your host-country, host-culture and/or host family and friends? Discuss why you think you made those Assumptions?

Alright, where to start. .. what I assumed to find while abroad. I assumed to find a good time. A good portion of my summer had been filled with drama and an emotional roller coaster ride, that just really ended with me being so glad i was not returning to the Willamette campus, where I now have people who backstabed me over the summer, and had considered wonderful friends before. Studying abroad in Japan had been a dream of mine since high school, when I first went with my high school on a sight seeing trip. Thus going to Japan had seemed in some respects like a dream come true, an escape from all the drama, nightmare, responsibilities, and the like. But how could it not? 
After being fortunate enough to be selected to recieve scholarships for the first time in my educational career, my expectations probably grew a bit more to encompass being able to restart and upgrade a lot of things i would not be able to other wise. For example, updating my wardrobe. I think Japanese fashion is amazing and wonderful. thus i had expected to be able to go up with enough clothes, and buy a lot of new clothes that were more fashionable and higher up than my normal attire of: t-shirt, (board)shorts, and slippers/shoes. Yes, i said slippers ;p but thus far i haven't really bought nearly as much clothes as i originally thought i would. Instead I have acquired an excess of cell phone charms.

There may also have been a bit of expectation that once i was actually living in Japan, language accuisition would become more easier. However, that is proving to not be the case. Japanese vocabulary has increased a little bit. My mid term grade was passing, and nothing more. Yes, grades aren't every thing i know, but getting myself to be happy with the grade is still some thing i am working on completely understanding.  

No comments:

Post a Comment